The Corning-Painted Post Historical Society is a dynamic, community responsive, educational organization that inspires community memory by linking our local history and heritage to contemporary life.
The Corning Painted Post Historical Society (CPPHS) was founded in 1947 "to collect local historical data, to diffuse the knowledge of local history, and to promote... the (1948) centenary of the incorporation of Corning as a village." It began immediately collecting information about the community's past.
In 1976, the Society acquired and restored as a Bicentennial project the dilapidated 1796 structure once known as the Painted Post Tavern. Located at 59 West Pulteney Street, Corning, it houses today the Benjamin Patterson Inn Museum and other buildings moved to the site for restoration as the museum grew.
The CPPHS continues to collect local historical information and artifacts. Its place in the museum community is established, with living history programs reaching annually over 4,000 school children and 1,000 visitors.
Board of Directors
||President: Jane Shadel Spillman
Vice President: Virginia Wright
Treasurer: Bonnie Stillman
Secretary: Laura Kahabka
Controller: Steve Matteson
Director Jessica Cunningham
Office Manager - Soni Lacey
Education/Events Coordinator Pat Monahan
Annual Report copies are available at the Welcome Center.